The curtains open – The historical theatres in Ferrara
The tour begins where the first permanent theatre of Italy was opened in 1531 under the direction of Ludovico Ariosto: Palazzo Marchionale, residence of the Este family, This family, with a keen interest in the theatre created another venue for the performance of theatrical events in the Gothic style Justice palace. Other members of nobility were influenced by this enthusiasm, with Count Scandianiopening a theatre for paying spectators in his residence in via Cortevecchia.
In the meantime another theatre, the so called Teatro degli Intrepidi (which later changed its name to Teatro degli Obizzi)opened in Piazza Verdi. In more recent years the Teatro Bonacossi was later opened in Via del Turco (later the name changed to that of Adelaide Ristori. The tour continues to the site of the former Teatro Scroffa, and finishes in front of the splendid Teatro Comunale built at the end of the 18th century, the theatre chosen by Claudio Abbado to be the home of important youth orchestras founded by the conductor.