The silence of the cloisters: art in the monasteries of Ferrara
In the oldest part of Ferrara it is possible to see the site of the oldest archbishopric of the city: San Giorgio outside the city walls, with its olivetano monastery. Not far away, near the ancient branch of the Po river we can find the convent of Sant′Antonio in Polesine, originally located on an island in the river. In this Benedictine convent, founded by the blessed Beatrice of the Este family, the splendid frescos painted in the style of Giotto can be admired.
Following the narrow winding streets of the medieval quarter, part of the ancient byzantine castrum we arrive at the Oratory of the Annunziata founded in 1370, here we can find an important 15th century Resurrection and a cycle of frescos depicting the Legend of the True Cross painted by local artists in the Renaissance.
Another example of monastic spirituality can be found in the Monastery of Corpus Domini, dating back to the beginning of the fifteenth century and later taken over by the Franciscan order of saint Chiara. Here saint Catherine Vegri lived for 30 years. Inside the monastery it is possible to visit the tombs of the Este family. This itinerary is possible only on weekdays. The oratory of the Annunziata can be visited on appointment.