The wonders of terracotta: the art of Biagio Rossetti
The itinerary begins with the church of San Cristoforo alla Certosa in the heart of the Renaissance city, realized by Biagio Rossetti, commissioned by the Este family in 1492 in order to celebrate the prestige and magnificence of the ruling family.
When the new laws passed by Napoleon forced the authorities to construct the cemeteries far from populated areas, the ancient monastery grounds were transformed into a cemetery. Despite this transformation it is still possible to visit the original cloisters and monastic cells. A stop will be made in Piazza Nuova today Piazza Ariostea, with the tour continuing to the apse of the Cathedral designed by Rossetti.
We then move on to the nearby Basilica of San Francesco, on the same site as an earlier church, dedicated to the saint. The church is one of the finest examples of the Renaissance architecture of Biagio Rossetti.
The tour continues to Santa Maria in Vado, one of the oldest places of worship in Ferrara dedicated to the virgin Mary which drew pilgrims in the past because of the miracle that took place here in 1171. The church was transformed into Basilica at the end of the 15th century . Inside it is possible to admire an important collection of works of art.